Decorations on constrained curve
Create decorations on a constrained curve
Decorations are replications on a target curve of a given pattern formed by one or more curves.
They are used to draw decorations or other repeated design on a existing line.
This command allows you to add a series of these Decorations to the model parametrically, on a set of segments,
with two optional intersection that constrain it.
- Select the set of curves you want to use as a repeated pattern. Press Enter (or right-click) to end selection
- Create the curve where the decorations will be placed by creating a constrained chain:
- Select the segments you want to add to chain. Clicking twice on the same segment will remove the segment itself
- Press Enter (or right click) to confirm the chain
- Use the Pick start constraint button (or press W) to select the first segment that will constrain the chain, and therefore the decorations
- Use the Pick end constraint button (or press E) to select the second segment that will constrain the chain, and therefore the decorations
- Use the Add/remove item to the chain button (or press T) to edit the selection of the segments.
- Click Ok (or press Space) when done
- Create the decorations selecting a method and filling in the options that are given.
- Click Ok (or press Space) to confirm
- Distance based: select this method if the distance between the decorations is the parameter that you want to control
- Number based: select this method if the Number of Decorations is the parameter that you want to control
- Distance from start: the distance, calculated from the start of the curve, from where the decorations series will begins
- Distance from end: the distance, calculated from the end of the curve, where the decorations series will finish
- You can also use the pick start button (or press W) and pick end button (or press E) to choose points on the curve
- Scale X: The scale factor applied to the horizontal dimension of the pattern
- Scale Y: The scale factor applied to the vertical dimension of the pattern
- Offset value: the offset value is the distance from the target curve where the pattern series will be created
- Flip button (shortcut: T): if you are using the offset, move the decoration to the other side of the curve
Remarks on chains
- The chains infrastructure depends highly on the topology of the curve. For example,
you may need to click twice in parts of a closed curve that looks continuous but, since every curve
has a beginning and an end, the two parts are different segments.
- The selection of the constraining segments is optional
- To remove a constraining segment, use the right Pick start/end constraint button and deselect it
- It is possible to select the same segment as both start and end intersecting object.
In this case the chain will be constrained between the first and second intersection that it has with the segment.
- If one segment has multiple intersections with a curve, the one considered will be the closest to the selection point of the segment
- While selecting segments it is possible to use the undo (or press Ctrl+Z) function to remove the last